"I am really excited to join the Brooklyn Nets," said Plumlee. "I have worked hard to get to this spot and it is rewarding to be selected in the first round of the NBA Draft. I am eager to get to Brooklyn to meet my new teammates and coaches. Duke and Coach K were instrumental in helping me get to this position. Many of lessons I learned in Durham will help me continue to grow and develop during the next phase of my basketball journey.
Plumlee, a consensus second team All-America honoree in 2013, averaged 17.1 points, 10.0 rebounds, 1.9 assists and 1.4 blocks per game, while shooting 59.9 percent from the field, as a senior. The Warsaw, Ind., native recorded 18 double-doubles en route to becoming just the second Blue Devil to average a double-double for the season under Coach K. Plumlee also scored in double figures in 33 contests, including nine 20-point efforts and a pair of 30-point outings last season.
In addition to his on-court honors and accolades, Plumlee was also a Capital One first team Academic All-America selection. He is the fifth player in Duke history to earn All-America and Academic All-America in the same season.
Plumlee, the 2013 Pete Newell Big Man of the Year, closed his Duke career ranked in the top 10 in rebounds, field goal percentage, blocks and dunks. He also became the 31st player in ACC history to record over 1,000 points and 1,000 rebounds in a career.
Krzyzewski has now mentored 46 draft selections. Duke has produced 79 NBA draft picks overall.
Duke Draft Notes
- Plumlee becomes the 26th player under Coach K selected in the first round of the NBA Draft ... Coach K has now had more NBA first round draft selections than any other coach in NCAA history.
- Duke has now had 18 first round selections in the last 16 years.
- Duke has had 33 players selected in the first round of the NBA Draft.
- Plumlee becomes the second Duke player selected by the Brooklyn Nets (formerly New Jersey Nets). Mike Gminski was selected by the New Jersey Nets with the No. 7 pick in the 1980 NBA Draft.
- Plumlee is the first Duke player selected with the 22nd pick in the NBA Draft.
- Plumlee adds to the Duke ties with the Brooklyn Nets, joining GM Billy King and NBDL coach Chris Carrawell.